I am a former Canadian resident. Am I eligible to apply for the eTA?

Permanent resident (PR) status does not expire. If you once lived in Canada many years ago, you could still have the PR status. Even if you haven’t lived in Canada for many years, you could still be a PR and not know it. 

However, you need to prove your PR status to enter Canada. You usually do this by presenting a valid PR card to the border official. 
If you still have PR status but don’t have a valid PR card, you have two options for travelling to Canada. You can either: 
- apply for a PR travel document (PRTD);
- or give up your PR status and then apply for the eTA or a visa. 
The best solution depends on your particular situation and whether or not you are still meeting the residency obligation for a PR.

Still need help? Contact Us Contact Us